My E3 2014 thoughts

Microsoft / Xbox One

I was just joking about hating Xbox as a brand. I love all things video game, and if I could afford to have an Xbox One, I would enjoy it thoroughly. However, one thing is clear: The Xbox is a shooter machine. There were too many games at the conference that were first-person shooters, and that bores me. While I enjoy a gritty shooter once and a while, I must stress that once and a while means not very often. I didn’t see a single shooter game at the Xbox conference that I would bother to play. It’s just not my thing. I also don’t enjoy snarky protagonists for the fantasy genre. I feel like fantasy with over-the-top snark just makes me feel like I’m being made fun of, and as a nerd, I just don’t want that while I’m trying to immerse myself in a fantasy world. The Witcher looked awesome though. The game that most intrigued me was that new one by the guy who did Limbo. That one, yeah. Looked fun, but not enough to make me want an XB1. The Halo collection looks rad. I love Halo, and I haven’t played a Halo game since having a roommate in college.

Sony / Playstation

The show was slow moving, and the speakers were not amazing at public speaking, but the games were good. I love Infamous, so more content for that brand is a +. I really do prefer Sony just because there are less shooters and more creative/weird styles of games. A word on LittleBIGPlanet 3: When LBP2 came out, I wasn’t ready for it. There wasn’t a big enough gap between games for me to want to play it. I bought it, but got bored because I just wasn’t ready for a new game. That said, I’m still not ready. If LittleBIGPlanet 2 would have been announced yesterday, I would be overwhelmed with hype. I would play it like mad, but not 3. I’m still burned out from LBP2, which I was still burned out from 1. I want a bigger gap of time between LBP games. There are too many of them. I think my favorite game from Sony was that open-universe colorful one with the spaceship. Whatever that was called. At first I thought I was looking at Spore 2. I wonder what the objective to that game is. I cannot wait to find out! Other than that, Destiny, Batman, and Uncharted all look amazing.

Ubisoft / EA 


Assassin’s Creed looks amazing (although I wish it were Black Flag 2 instead) and I cannot wait to purchase and play Star Wars: Battlefront.

Nintendo / Wii U / 3DS

I love how weird Nintendo is. Splatoon looks creative, even if I don’t want to buy it. Maybe if there are more levels. Smash Bros. 4 looks incredible. Paluntena, Mii Fighter, and Pac-Man are wonderful additions. I am so glad they’re using the classic Pac-Man look instead of the newer ones where his eyes are humanlike. I won’t be truly happy with the roster until I see Ice Climbers return. The Smash Invitational was incredible. One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen Nintendo do. Using Robot Chicken to keep the event interesting was clever. Zelda, on the other hand, does not interest me in the slightest. Yes, it’s because of the art style. Last E3 they teased me with realistic Link, and this year they gave me cartoon Link. I’m sorry, I just don’t like cartoon Link. I want Zelda to be more like Skyrim, not more like Mario. The new Toad puzzle game looks fun. Mario Maker looks limited to the first Mario game, and that bores me. I wish they had based Mario Maker on SMB3. There’s just more enemies, powerups, etc. The one thing that scares me for Nintendo is that all of the new exciting games seem to be coming in 2015.

Overall: 


Good games, but nothing that really makes me drool.

 

WHERE IS FALLOUT 4?????

No comments:

Post a Comment